Extract from pages 62-63:
INGELRAM de LIONS
The name is derived from the castle and forest of Lions in Normandy [Foret de Lyons is east of Rouyn]. Ingelram de Lions came to England in 1o66 and held Corsham and Culington from the king1. He had Ranulph, and another son William de Lions received a grant in Norfolk from Earl Walter Gifford and left descendants there.
Ranulph had Ingelram de Lions named Parcar, from being forester of Croxton, Leicester, by exchange with the king2.
William Parcarius de Lion was a benefactor to Croxton abbey during the reign of Henry II and was brother of Hugh de Lion, who was deprived of his estates in 12033. From him descended the family of Parcar or Parker and earls of Macclesfield; hence also the lords Lyon and Glamis, earls of Strathmore and Kinghorn.
King George VI married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, daughter of present Earl of Strathmore, whose eldest daughter the little princess Elizabeth is heir-apparent to the throne [Elizabeth is the present Queen of England].
RECORDING PROMINENT COMPANIONS OF
WILLIAM DUKE OF NORMANDY
AT THE CONQUEST OF ENGLAND
BY M. JACKSON CRISPIN
Princeton University, 1896, A.B.,
Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur
Professor of the College of Falaise 0.1
WITH ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS BY
G. ANDREWS MORIARTY
from The American Genealogist
Volume XVI, Number 1, July, 1939