THE [14th] EARL OF STRATHMORE AND KINGHORNE, Viscount Lyon, Lord Glamis, Tannadyce, Sidlaw and Strathdichtie, Baron Bowes of Streatlam Castle, Co Durham, and of Lunedale, Co York, and Chief of the Name and Arms of Lyon
born 14 March 1855, at Lowndes Square in London, the eldest son of Claude Bowes-Lyon and Frances Dora Smith.
educated at Eton College, commission in the 2nd Life Guards in 1876, was an active member of the Territorial Army and served as Honorary Colonel of the 4th/5th Battalion of the Black Watch.
Claude succeeded his father as the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne 16th February 1904 and held the title until his death of bronchitis 7 November 1944.
16 July 1881 Claude married Nina Cecilie Cavendish-Bentinck, daughter of Reverend Charles William Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck and Caroline Louisa Burnaby, at Petersham, London, England.
Claude and Nina had ten children:
- Violet Hyacinth Bowes-Lyon (born 17 Apr 1882, died of diphtheria 17 Oct 1893)
- Lady Mary Frances Bowes-Lyon (born 30 Aug 1883, died 8 Feb 1961) married Sidney Elphinstone, 16th Lord Elphinstone; in 1910, and had five children
- Patrick Bowes-Lyon, (born 22 Sep 1884, died 25 May 1949) married Lady Dorothy Osborne (daughter of George Osborne, 10th Duke of Leeds) in 1908, and had four children
- Lieutenant The Hon. John Bowes-Lyon (born 1 Apr 1886, died 7 Feb 1930) married The Hon. Fenella Hepburn-Stuart-Forbes-Trefusis (daughter of Charles Hepburn-Stuart-Forbes-Trefusis, 21st Baron Clinton) in 1914, and had five children
- Hon. Alexander Francis Bowes-Lyon (born 14 Apr 1887, died unmarried 19 Oct 1911)
- Captain The Hon. Fergus Bowes-Lyon (born 18 Apr 1889, died 26 Sep 1915) married Lady Christian Dawson-Damer (daughter of Lionel Dawson-Damer, 5th Earl of Portarlington) in 1914, and had a daughter
- Lady Rose Constance Bowes-Lyon (born 6 May 1890, died 17 Nov 1967) married William Leveson-Gower, 4th Earl Granville in 1916, and had two children
- Lieutenant-Colonel The Hon. Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon (born 1 Oct 1893, died of asthma and heart failure 1 May 1953) married Elizabeth Cator in 1928, and had four children
- Lady Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (born 4 Aug 1900, died 30 Mar 2002) married Prince Albert, Duke of York, later King George VI in 1923
- Hon. Sir David Bowes-Lyon (born 2 May 1902, died 13 Sep 1961) married Rachel Clay in 1929, and two children