Kinghorn or Glamis Tower was a royal castle from the reign of William the Lyon (1166-1214), in Fife, Scotland. The castle was frequently visited by the Scottish Court in the period of the House of Dunkeld. The castle controlled the sea way and stood on the headland above Pettycur Bay on rising ground to the north of the town. A later structure, Glamis Tower, stood just behind what is now High Street. In1373 King Robert II granted Glamis Tower to Sir John Lyon as part of Princess Johanna’s dowry.
In July 1537 Sir John Lyon 7th Lord Glamis and his mother were placed on trial for conspiring to cause the death of James V of Scotland by poison. John’s mother, Janet Doulas, having been found guilty was burnt at the stake. John, being a minor at the time, was placed in prison but was later released, However, Glamis was annexed to the crown by act of parliament on the 3rd of December 1540 and bestowed upon James Kirkcaldy of Grange the then Baron of Kinghorn.
On the 13th of March 1543 the forfeiture of Glamis was rescinded and the titles and estates were restored to Sir John. Glamis Tower was rebuilt in 1543 but was subsequently besieged by James Kirkcaldy of Grange in 1546 and fell. On the 12th of September 1548 the barony of Kinghorn seized from Kirkcaldy and bestowed upon Sir John Lyon. Both the castle and the tower have since totally disappeared and the site built over leaving no trace of the castle or tower.
Pettycur Bay and the town of Kinghorn
The town of Kinghorn is a seaside resort in Fife Scotland, on the north shore of the Firth of Forth, opposite Edinburgh.