St Mary’s Warkworth
A 13th century medieval church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and built in the “Decorated” style as the chapel for Warkworth Manor. The church serves the villages of Warkworth and Overthorpe and sits high on a hill outside the village of Overthorpe.
The church consists of a nave, a north aisle, a south cross aisle or chapel, with a south porch attached, a chancel and an embattled tower containing two bells. The upper storey of the tower and the wail of the north aisle were rebuilt 1784 and the church was thoroughly restored in 1869; it was re-roofed, the chancel rebuilt, and a new vestry and south porch erected.
St. Mary’s contains several ancient monuments to the Lyon, Chetwood and Holman families.
In the 6th year of Edward III (circa 1332); Sir John de Lyons founded a channy here for two secular priests supplied by the priory and convent of Chalcombe.
Warkworth Castle (Manor) was the home of crusader knight Sir John de Lyonz and his wife Margerie and stood to the south of the church. The castle only lasted until 1806 when it was sold and demolished whilst St. Mary’s has continued to service the communities of Overthorpe and Warkworth.
Tomb of Sir John de Lyon